In this line of work, I often come across inspiring stories—stories from amazing people doing incredible things—but today’s guest has truly defied the odds, overcome a number of setbacks and failures, and has succeeded in some big ways. He’s a true inspiration to me and I hope he’ll be the same for you.
In this episode of the Daily New Year’s Podcast, I’m chatting with Russell Nohelty, and as you’ll soon hear, he’s managed to build a successful, six-figure business and become a New York Times Best Selling Author after dealing with some pretty tough situations.
Graves Disease, migraines, depression, failed businesses—life has dealt Russell a pretty tough hand, but if you hear him tell it, “I’ve got all of the superpowers and none of the Kryptonite.” He isn’t feeling sorry for himself—he’s too busy mastering his mindset and writing best-selling books.
How does he manage to keep his winning attitude? Find out in this exciting, inspirational episode of the Daily New Year’s Podcast.
- Getting to Know Russell and His Four Failed Businesses – [02:21]
- The Building Blocks of Failure, Fail Better, Fail Faster – [09:42]
- How to Decouple Success and Failure from Self-Worth – [10:14]
- Managing Mindset with Graves Disease, Migraines, & Depression – [12:40]
- Learning How to Come Back from a Downward Spiral – [14:23]
- Overcoming Failure by Revisiting Old Successes – [15:27]
- How Proper Medication Played a Role in Russell’s Success – [17:22]
- The Intrinsic Nature of Self-Worth – [18:34]
- The Massive Importance of Having a Great Support Network- [20:02]
- The Power of Proper Medication and a Neutral Mindset – [20:37]
- The Superpowers between Neurodivergence and Neurotypical – [22:37]
- What Fuels Russell’s Fire? Impact Drives Everything I do. – [29:35]
- How to Create the Best Work of Your Life – [34:13]
- Breathing with Intention and Mini Meditations – [37:41]
- Connecting with Russell – [39:16]
About Russell Nohelty
Russell Nohelty is a USA Today bestselling author, publisher, and consultant. He runs the small press publisher, Wannabe Press, and The Complete Creative, which helps creatives build better businesses.
He’s run successful Kickstarter campaigns for several books, including Ichabod Jones: Monster Hunter, Katrina Hates the Dead, and Spaceship Broken: Needs Repairs, just to name a few. Overall, he raised over $135,000 on Kickstarter to date, including three campaigns that raised over $25,000 each, and one that raised $39,000.
For the last several years, Russell has cataloged and documented his own journey to build a creative business and he has interviewed hundreds of other successful creators and dissected their stories to find out how they built and sustained their careers.
He compiled all the lessons, successes, and failures he learned into his creative academy, The Complete Creative, which includes everything he’s learned about becoming a six-figure author.
He is dedicated to showing other creatives how to build their own businesses, and he truly believes anybody can be a success as long as they treat themselves like an entrepreneur and run their career like a business.
Connect with Russell | Instagram | Facebook | Wannabe Press | The Complete Creative | Russell’s Website
Quotes from this Episode
“I am a human being who fails—not a failure. I am a human being who succeeds—not a success.” —Russell Nohelty
“Spite doesn’t burn clean […] sometimes you gotta take whatever fuel you can get.” —Russell Nohelty
“Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you.” —Ira Glass
People Mentioned in this Episode
Links and Resources from this Episode
Disclaimer: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.